On Thursday (March 4), the Ministry of Road and Transport Highways (MORTH) released a notification stating that citizens would no longer be required to visit the RTO office for as many as 18 services, including driver’s licence renewal, vehicle registration, and obtaining a learner’s licence, among others.
The contactless service based on Aadhaar authentication would provide people with easy and hassle-free services.
“A number of programmes, such as the issuance of a driver’s licence and a certificate of registration, are now available entirely online. These facilities can now be obtained without having to visit the RTO. Anyone can use these contactless services with Aadhaar authentication on a voluntary basis,” MORTH wrote on their official Twitter account.
The development comes after the Union government released a draught notification linking a driver’s licence and a registration certificate to the 12-digit unique identification number given to every Indian citizen.
“This will alleviate citizens’ enforcement burdens by allowing them to access these facilities in a hassle-free, contact-free manner. This will also minimize foot traffic in RTO offices, resulting in increased RTO office efficiency,” the ministry wrote in a separate Twitter message.
Below is the list of facilities people can access from the comfort of their own homes by using Aadhar authentication.
- Learner’s licence
- Renewal of driving licence for which test of competence to drive is not required
- Duplicate driving licence
- Change of address in driving licence and certificate of registration
- Issue of international driving permit
- Surrender of a class of vehicle from licence
- Application for temporary registration of the motor vehicle
- Application for registration of the motor vehicle with a fully built body
- Application for issue of duplicate certificate of registration
- Application for grant of NOC for a certificate of registration
- Notice of transfer of ownership of the motor vehicle
- Application for transfer of ownership of the motor vehicle
- Intimation of change of address in a certificate of registration
- Application for registration for driver training from the accredited driver training centre
- Application for registration of motor vehicle of a diplomatic officer
- Application for assignment of fresh registration mark of a motor vehicle of a diplomatic officer
- Endorsement of hire-purchase agreement
- Termination of hire-purchase agreement